9 Ways to Brighten Up Your Home for Free!
A touch of brightness not only wakes up your home, but also lifts your spirits. And you don’t have to spend a penny to add some sparkle to your surroundings. Here are some ideas I’ve tried and loved. Do share your own, too.
1. Turn to Nature for inspiration! Go for a walk and bring back pebbles, twigs, driftwood, leaves, shells… depending on where you live, of course. They bring the outdoors in, look lovely, and put a song in your heart without having you delve into your wallet at all. Plus, you get some feel-good exercise!
2. Pour your cleaning products, such as vinegar and baking soda, into pretty bottles and place them beside your sink. Makes even doing the dishes a pleasant job.
3. Wake up a dull dining room. Tie a string from corner to corner, and line it with your best-looking table napkins and towels. It’s a bold idea, but can look really striking.
4. So what if you have a rather plain dinner set? When guests come—or even just for yourself and the family—put candles and shells in old milk cans or sand-filled galvanized pails. Such a beachy feeling!
5. Make your table napkins a talking point. Write your favorite food quotations on them with fabric paint. I have one that says, “Never trust a thin cook!”
6. Got empty soup cans? Line them up in a row and tuck a wildflower into each one. If you have glass bottles, even better. Both make a wonderful centerpiece. No need to buy expensive crystal!
7. Got lots of books? Align them according to the colors of their spines. So, place the reds together, followed by the blues and yellows. Gives a warm, dramatic look to an otherwise ordinary arrangement.
8. Clean out the clutter. Even the simplest home is alluring when clean. Even the most expensive decor is no good if it feels stuffy and untidy.
9. Undress your windows! Lift the drapes and roll up the blinds. Natural light is the best mood lifter, ever. I’m not just saying it–countless studies have proved the happifying power of sunlight.