7 Ways to Soothe a Sunburn
Nothing can spoil a summer weekend like a sunburn. When you’re feeling the painful consequence of not having worn enough sunscreen, find some relief in these natural remedies for over-exposed skin.
Take a soothing bath:
1. Add a cup of apple cider vinegar to your bath and soak for 10 minutes.
2. Add ½ cup of baking soda and a small handful of sea salt.
3. Take an oatmeal bath: Add two cups of oatmeal to the bottom of a nylon sock. Tie up the sock, and let warm water pour over the pouch. Leave pouch in tub as you bathe.
Next: 4 more skin-relieving tips
Cool your skin:
4. Rub your skin with aloe vera gel or coconut oil.
5. Try this Ayurvedic secret to stay cool: Mix equal amounts of powdered sandalwood and turmeric with a little cool water and apply the paste to skin.
6. Apply black or green tea bags (which have pain-relieving properties) to affected skin, or make into a tea and add to bath water.
7. Apply yogurt to burnt skin and leave on for about 20 minutes to soothe the pain.
Be sure to additionally drink plenty of water and peppermint tea to keep your body cool and hydrated.
Soothing remedy suggestions collected from Brigitte Mars’ The Country Almanac of Home Remedies and Care2 archives.