8 Meat-Free Sandwich Ideas
- Veronica, selected from Green Options
- May 21, 2009
- 8:40 am
By Marygrace Stergakos, Eat. Drink. Better.
During my first year of being vegan, I didnít really know what to eat. The fact that I was a teenager who had never learned to prepare anything more complicated than a bowl of cereal probably didnít help much, but suffice it to say that twelve months involved a steep culinary learning curve. I ate a lot of Amyís frozen burritos, apples, and salads that consisted of spinach, black beans, and lemon juice. Unappetizing indeed! Sometimes I think itís a wonder that I managed to stay healthy during this period, or even that I stuck out being vegan at all.
I also noticed during that year that I never bought any bread. Whatís the use of bread when you donít eat meat to put in between it? Thankfully, I rediscovered the sandwich in all of its vegan glory. Sometimes, complicated food (you know, the kind that requires a knife and fork) just doesnít work. There are days when I need something thatís easy to make, easy to eat, and will keep me energized.
In addition to making you feel super healthy, these sandwiches will make you feel super happy: Theyíre cheaper than deli meats and cheeses, and have a much lower carbon footprint! All sandwiches use good-for-you whole grain bread.
- Equal parts miso and tahini, cucumber rounds, avocado slices, and clover sprouts.
- Crunchy peanut butter with raisins and shredded carrot.
- Baked tofu, pesto, and romaine lettuce.
- Asian-style salad sandwich: Shredded red and green cabbage tossed with peanut dressing. Add baked, sliced tofu for extra staying power.
- Sliced apple and almond butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Spread refried beans on bread, add shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, and guacamole.
- Veggie delight: Spread a thick layer of hummus on bread, top with any raw vegetables you have on hand (I like baby spinach, shredded carrots, and sundried tomato).
- Marinated and grilled portobello mushroom with sauteed red onion, crisp lettuce and tomato.
Green Options Media is a network of environmentally-focused blogs providing users with the information needed to make sustainable choices. Written by experienced professionals, Green Options Mediaís blogs engage visitors with authoritative content, compelling discussions, and actionable advice. We invite anyone with questions, or simply curiosity, to add their voices to the community, and share their approaches to achieving abundance.
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.