8 Safe & Easy Ways to Use Aromatherapy at Home
Essential oils are a time-tested tool for healing a staggering number of discomforts ranging from muscle fatigue to depression. Delve into their wonderful world, and you could beat back day-to-day health problems without rushing to a clinic.
How to Blend Essential Oils:
- Essential oils should be diluted with cold-pressed carrier oils so that they don’t cause irritation or other reactions.
- Carrier oils are base oils that help ‘carry’ the essential oil onto your skin and senses. These are usually derived from nuts, kernels or seeds. Examples: sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, sesame oil, sunflower oil, evening primrose oil, grapeseed oil, hazelnut oil and such.
- For every ounce of carrier oil, use 5 to 10 drops of essential oil.
- For 1 tub of bath water, use 6 to 8 drops of essential oil.
- Make sure the oil you’re using is genuine. Pure oil is more watery than oily. It is usually packaged in a dark blue or brown bottle, so that the liquid is preserved.
Next: Anxious? Tired? 8 ways to heal yourself with aromatherapy
8 Ways to Heal with Aromatherapy:
1. If you’re anxious: Add a few drops of ylang-ylang to your bath water. Or, blend it with rose or lavender oil, and give yourself a full-body massage. The tensions will melt away from your mind and body.
2. Got the sniffles? Just a drop of eucalyptus oil on your pillow or on a tissue eases sinusitis.
3. For aching muscles: A blend of perky peppermint and soothing lavender oil is what you need.
4. For indigestion: Honey is a time-tested remedy for belly woes. Add a few drops of peppermint oil to it, mix them in a glass of water, and sip—the relief is almost instant.
5. Monday morning dullness? Rosemary oil added to your bathwater gives a quick energy boost.
6. Feeling blue? Lift up your spirits with jasmine or bergamot essential oils. You could mix them with a base oil for a full-body massage, or sprinkle a few drops in your bath water.
7. For sleeplessness: Lavender essence massaged on your face, neck and shoulders invites restfulness. Or, have a warm, lavender-infused bath before bedtime.
8. For stretch marks and scars: Try neroli essential oil blended with a cream or lotion. It helps regenerate skin by stimulating cell growth.