3. Summer Squash Recipes
When you’re shopping for summer squash, you may want to choose organic. It’s not as well-known as corn or soybeans, but there is genetically modified summer squash on the market. Organic produce is not allowed to be genetically modified, though, so look for that organic label if you want to opt out!
- Summer Squash Bruschetta – Squash replaces the tomatoes in this classic Italian starter.
- Lemon Pattypan Squash Pasta – You can skip the goat cheese to make this a vegan recipe, if you like. Pattypan squash is a bit harder to find, but you can most likely track it down at your local farmers market.
- Stuffed Summer Squash – Hollowed out summer squash stuffed with mushrooms and topped with guac? Don’t mind if I do!
- Roasted Yellow Squash and Onions – This recipe is simple, delicious, and pairs well with just about any main dish.
Related Reading: 7 Vegan Finger Food Recipes
4. Tomato Recipes
- Tomato Sandwich – Any Harriet the Spy fans out there? Tomato sandwiches are simple and sublime, and you can build them up so many ways!
- Roasted Tomato and Arbol Chile Salsa – This is a smoky variation on your basic salsa. Serve with chips or fresh veggies for dipping.
- Fried Green Tomatoes – Check out this vegan version of the Southern summer classic!
- Pickled Green Tomatoes – Pickled tomatoes? YES! One of my first memories is of eating pickled tomatoes with my Popi Irving on the back porch straight out of the jar.
photo by Becky Striepe