Everyone loves the delicious holiday treats, feasts, and party-fare, but no one loves the indigestion, bloating, and heavy feeling afterward. Here are 8 ways to improve your post-holiday meal digestion:
1. Don’t devour the food. Take it slowly and chew your food well. It may sound cliché but chewing mixes food with your digestive enzymes, helping to improve digestion.
2. If you’re stressed out, try to wait until you feel more relaxed to eat.
3. Try not to eat too late at night. Late-night eating doesn’t allow enough time for food to digest and often causes heartburn and weight gain.
4. Don’t drink too much with meals as it dilutes your digestive enzymes and can result in indigestion and bloating.
5. Eat less food more often throughout the day, rather than eating a huge meal all in one sitting.
6. Supplement with a full-spectrum digestive enzyme product. It should contain a wide range of enzymes since each one serves a unique purpose. For example, lipase aids fat digestion, protease aids protein digestion, amylase assists with carbohydrate digestion, lactase assists with digestion of dairy sugars, cellulase and hemicellulase assist with breaking down plant fiber. If you feel bloated and heavy after a meal, pop a few enzyme capsules. They often eliminate that heavy feeling.
7. First thing in the morning take a probiotic supplement. Choose a formula that contains a range of intestinal flora such as lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium bifidus. By regulating intestinal flora, you will also regulate bowel movements and improve digestion.
8. Eat a small salad with apple cider vinegar prior to eating your holiday meals. The enzymes in the greens help with digestion while the apple cider vinegar stimulates the body’s natural production of hydrochloric acid to aid protein digestion. Avoid apple cider vinegar if you have a stomach ulcer.
For more healthy tips, news, and recipes, subscribe to my free e-newsletter World’s Healthiest News.