‘Tis the season for tomatoes—lots of them. If you have a garden, you may already be enjoying the harvest of your tomato plants. If not, there are many reasons to stop at your local market and pick some up. Here are 9 reasons to love tomatoes:
1. They’re packed with vitamin C—a critical nutrient to keep your immune system strong.
2. They contain an important phytonutrient called lycopene that has been proven in studies to fight aging and have anti-cancer properties. It appears to be particularly effective against prostate and colon cancers.
3. Lycopene found in tomatoes even protects our genetic material against damage and the resulting disease.
4. Tomatoes stimulate the production of the amino acid carnitine which has been shown in research to speed the body’s fat-burning capacity by over 30 percent.
5. Research shows the lycopene found in tomatoes, when eaten regularly, can reduce the risk of heart disease by 29 percent.
6. Lack of lycopene in a menopausal woman’s diet has been linked to osteoporosis.
Keep reading to learn which tomatoes have the most lycopene… I think you’ll be surprised.