The Solar Backpack Backstory
When Australian hiker, Shayne McQuade found himself frustrated with his solar charger while trekking in Spain, he used his background as a builder to create a solar-charged backpack. That DIY prototype led to the birth of Voltaic Systems. Today, Shawn’s products are made mostly of recycled plastic bottles. His solar chargers and charging bags come with a range of adapters so that you can recharge just about anything you have in your electronics collection.
Why these backpacks are green:
- save money on electric
- shrinks your energy footprint
- keep you safe when you go off-grid
- made from recycled plastic bottles
What can you charge?
- cell phones and smartphones
How long does it take to charge?
- 4-5 hours in the sun will fully charge a typical phone
- 1 hour will provide about 3 hours of talk time
- Universal USB battery stores power for use anytime and is specially designed to charge efficiently from solar
What happens if there is no sun?
When the backpack is not in the sun, the battery can be charged using the USB Power Cable.