A Whole New Kind of Independence Day
The 4th of July has just passed and many of us went on picnics, watched fireworks, went boating, hung out with friends and family, and otherwise got jiggy to celebrate our country’s birthday as an independent country.
But what about your personal Independence Day?
It’s not too late. Just as the 4th of July is more than beer, barbeque, and boiling hot sunshine, your personal Independence Day can also be a day to celebrate becoming sovereign in your own life and being free from whatever is holding you back?
What Freedom Do You Desire?
Maybe you’re longing to be free from the Gremlins of fear that keep you from taking leaps of faith and skyrocketing to the stratosphere. Maybe you need to free yourself from letting the voice of your mother rule your life. Maybe you long to be free from illness. Perhaps you’re ready to be free from childhood traumas that haunt you still. Maybe you’re ready to be free from that soul-sucking job that’s out of line with your true life purpose. Maybe you’re ready to be free from that toxic relationship that is depleting your life force.
Whatever it is, you have the power within you to heal yourself, cut the cords that tie you to whatever is keeping you from shining your radiant light as bright as you possibly can, and free yourself so today can be YOUR Independence Day.
A Declaration of Independence
If you’re ready to make today your day of independence, try this little Personal Independence Day exercise. (Or. . . choose another date that is special for you):
- Write down on separate slips of paper everything you’re declaring independence from.
- Take the slips of paper somewhere you can either burn, bury, or otherwise destroy them in a satisfying way (campfires are a great choice, but so is burying tiny shreds of paper deep in the sand on a beach).
- Before you destroy these slips of paper, turn each of them into a declaration and say it out loud. For example, “I declare that I am no longer going to be a victim of my husband’s temper” or “I declare that I am free of fear and ready to follow my dreams.”
- Now DESTROY whatever is keeping you from being free. Tie them to fireworks and shoot them up in the air. Burn them. Bury them. Drown them. Confetti them and throw them over your head. Glue them to rocks and throw them in the lake. (It’s just paper, so it will biodegrade.)
- Now it’s time to CELEBRATE your Independence Day! Dance. Light candles. Sing. Shoot off bottle rockets. Toast. Happy Independence Day, my love!
- For extra credit, do this with one or more people. It’s UBER powerful that way and you can all bear witness to each other’s independence.
Are you ready to celebrate your independence?
What would you like to declare independence from? Share with us here and we’ll all lift you up in your quest to be sovereign.
Happy Personal Independence Day. May all beings be free, independent, and radically ALIVE.
Still smellin’ smoke bombs,
Lissa Rankin, MD: Founder of OwningPink.com, motivational speaker, and author of What’s Up Down There? Questions You’d Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend and Encaustic Art: The Complete Guide To Creating Fine Art With Wax.
Learn more about Lissa Rankin here.