He may be only three months old, but Hunter, the black and white husky mix is one smart dog. Thanks to his canine smarts, this little dog that had only been adopted two weeks prior, saved the lives of his new family by alerting them to a gas leak.
Last Wednesday around midnight, Hunter woke owner Jill McLarty with nonstop whining. Thinking her puppy needed a bathroom break, she took him outside, but he just sat on the ground and continued to whine. She brought him back inside to her bedroom, but his whining only increased. Then he started running in frenzied circles and finally led McLarty into her kitchen. The smart pup then plopped down in front of the stove and that is when McLarty realized one of the burners was on very low, but enough to leak a lot of gas into the house where her whole family was sleeping.
Thinking back, McLarty realized the stove had been on since they made dinner nearly six hours prior. Shocked, she turned off the burner. Only then, did Hunter finally relax. He followed her back up to her bedroom and went right to sleep for the night. ”He saved our lives, anything could’ve happened that night,” recalled Jill’s husband, Tim. “As cliché as it sounds,” he added, “the life you save may save yours.”