Anheuser-Busch Sponsors ‘America Recycles Day’–and It’s Today
It’s America Recycles Day, that annual holiday sponsored by Anheuser-Busch, the American Chemistry Council, Waste Management and other companies that have made fortunes manufacturing, filling and picking up disposable containers. It’s their way of thanking us for helping keep all that plastic out of the gutters and the landfills, so that it can be downcycled into benches. But really we need a week to celebrate all the better ways to deal with the problem of waste, with recycling coming after our favorite Rs:
- Reduce: Just use less.
- Return: Producers should take back what they sell.
- Reuse: Almost boring, but we throw too much stuff out too soon.
- Repair: Fix and mend things rather than replacing them.
- Refill: In Ontario Canada, 88% of beer bottles are returned to the beer store, washed and refilled; just south of the border in the USA, the number drops to under 5%.
- Rot: Compost what is left over, turning it into valuable nutrients.
- Refuse: Simply refuse to accept this crap from the manufacturers any more.
Watch the above video made by Margaret Badore that explains it all!
by Lloyd Alter, from Treehugger