It’s all too easy to confuse possessive love with true love, but possessive love can harm and undermine you, depleting your
Take this simple quiz to see if you may be in a possessive
Answer the following questions true or false:
1. The other person needs to have say in everything, or most everything, that you do.
2. He or she does not give you time to think for yourself and demands immediate decisions.
3. You find you are frequently unsure and you let the other person make up your mind for you.
4. You spend most, if not all, of your time with this person.
5. He or she does not like your friends.
6. He or she threatens to leave you if you exert any independence.
7. He or she is jealous of your family and/or friends.
8. Whenever this person is around, you give your power over to him or her.
9. You are losing energy and enthusiasm you had for past interests.
10. You find you do things with this person that you said you didn’t want to do.
The more of these statements you answered “true,” the more possessive and potentially dangerous the relationship is. But even if you only recognize one of these as true for you, you may be in a possessive relationship. As long as you are willing to be in this kind of relationship, you will stifle your true nature and true love will elude you. Even true love found in friendships and family relationships is nonpossessive and empowering.