A surprising number and variety of physical problems and diseases can be caused by acidity. Today, the vast majority of the populace in industrialized nations suffers from problems caused by acidification, because both modern lifestyle and diet promote acidification of the body’s internal environment.
In general, the current standard diet is primarily composed of acidic or acidifying elements (proteins, cereals, sugars). Alkaline foods such as vegetables are eaten in much smaller quantities; their alkaline content is insufficient to neutralize surplus acids. Stimulants like tobacco, coffee, tea and alcohol are also extremely acidifying. Stress and physical activity (both insufficient or excessive amounts) also cause acidification.
Do you exhibit signs of acidification? Find out with this checklist of 30 symptoms.
1. Lack of energy, constant fatigue, loss of physical tone and psychic drive, sensation of heaviness in the limbs, feelings of inability to cope.
2. Lower body temperature; frequently feels cold.
3. Tendency to get infections.
4. Loss of drive, joy and enthusiasm.
5. Depressive tendencies.
6. Nervousness, agitation without cause, hyperactivity, sensitivity to high-pitched noises and easily stressed.
7. Very pale face.
9. Eyes tear easily.
11. Inflammation of the corneas and eyelids.
12. Acidic saliva.
13. Loose teeth.
14. Inflamed, sensitive gums.
15. Mouth ulcers.
16. Cracks at the corners of the lips.
17. Recurring infections of throat and tonsils.
18. Teeth are sensitive to hot, cold or acidic foods.
19. Teeth have a tendency to crack or chip.
20. Pain in the nerves of the teeth.
21. Excess stomach acid.
22. Acid regurgitation.
25. Nails are thin and split and break easily.
26. Hair looks dull, has split ends, and falls out.
27. Dry skin.
28. Skin tends to be irritated in regions where there are heavy concentrations of sweat.
30. Leg cramps and spasms.
Adapted from The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health, by Christopher Vasey, N.D. (Inner Traditions, 2003).