In my family, avgolemono soup is our go-to favorite for sick days. There’s nothing quite like a big bowl of lemony goodness to make the sniffles go away! Though avgolemono is a popular dish at Greek restaurants, they’re never quite the same as my family’s homemade version.
I’ve adapted this recipe for vegetarians — my meat-eating family uses chicken broth & a teaspoon of chicken broth powder in lieu of vegetable broth.
1. Bring vegetable broth and water to boil in a 3 quart pot.
2. Add rice. Cook on low 20 minutes.
3. Put 1 egg in blender and blend.
4. Add only one cup of HOT broth only into blended egg in blender, but do this with only a quarter cup at a time. Re-blend after each quarter cup. This is so the egg doesn’t curdle.
5. Pour egg/broth mixture into the rest of the soup.
6. Stir in lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired. Serve with lemon slices.
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.