Avocado Beauty Tips for Healthy Skin & Hair
Avocados aren’t just for eating! Legends say that Ancient Aztec, Mayan, and Inca women used avocados to beautify their skin and hair. Today many natural skin care products contain avocado oil as one of their ingredients.
If you are interested in natural, fresh applications that you can prepare in your kitchen, give these a try.
Why Your Skin and Hair Love Avocados
- Avocados are high in biotin, a B vitamin sometimes referred to as vitamin H or vitamin B7, which helps keep the skin moisturized and prevents hair from becoming too dry.
- Avocados also contain the antioxidant vitamins A and E which can soothe sunburnt skin.
- Avocado oil is used in the cosmetic industry because it is absorbed by the skin, rapidly and completely.
- Avocado oil also contains sterolins, molecular structures within plant based oils, which can help boost the body’s collagen production and treat age spots.
Your inner body loves avocados also. Read about their many nutritional benefits.
How to Use an Avocado for Beauty Treatments
Make sure the avocado is fully ripe. If you want your avocado to hurry up and ripen, then put it in a paper bag with a banana, and that will do the trick. If you have too many ripe avocados, store them in the refrigerator. Never put them in the freezer.
Below are a few easy recipes that you can create in your own kitchen to support your natural beauty. They are simple, inexpensive, vegan and chemical-free.
Moisturizing Avocado Face Mask
This is the simplest face mask one can use! Avocado oil acts as a skin moisturizer. It contains beneficial vitamin E which is suitable for dry skin types.
Here is how you do it:
1. Mash the avocado pulp.
2. Spread evenly on your clean face.
3. Allow to remain for 15 minutes.
4. Rinse off with warm water.
Avocado Treatment for Puffy Eyes
Do you get puffy eyes sometimes? Here is a great avocado trick.
1. Peel an avocado.
2. Slice it in half
3. Remove the pit.
4. Cut the avocado half into crescent-shapes (approximately a quarter-inch thick).
5. Lie down.
6. Place a few slices under each eye.
7. Leave on for 20 minutes.
8. Wash face with water.
Your eyes will feel and look less puffy.
Avocado oil can be used instead of under eye cream, it is very good for the gentle skin around the eyes and helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Avocado Oil Scalp Treatment
Most oils will leave a greasy feel on the surface of the skin. This is thankfully not the case with avocado oil. Avocado oil is easily absorbed by the skin so it works well for moisturizing a dry scalp. You can purchase avocado oil at most health food stores. Simply massage the avocado oil into your scalp and leave for 30 minutes, then shampoo hair.
Moisturizing Avocado Hair Treatment
Add a little avocado oil to your conditioner to moisturize dry, damaged roots. You will need to experiment to find the amount that is right for your hair.
Or if you really want to go for it, try this recipe.
Deep Avocado Conditioning Treatment
1 ripe avocado
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
5 drops essential oil* (See list below)
1. Melt coconut oil on very low heat.
2. Mash avocado till very smooth.
3. Mix in the coconut oil well and add an essential oil of your choice.
4. Apply to your hair, making sure all the ends of your hair are covered.
5. Leave on for 30 minutes.
6. Shampoo out completely.
Essential oils to choose from:
- Chamomile oil adds softness and shine to the hair
- Geranium oil strengthens hair
- Lavender oil is a deep conditioner and adds shine to the hair
- Sandalwood oil moisturizes dry ends
I am still experimenting with these and will add more tips as I progress.
Would love to know what works for you, so please share your results and avocado beauty treatments.
More Fun Beauty Treatments:
Dr. Oz’s Banana Conditioner – Tested: Dr. Oz commissioned his researchers to find the best treatment for damaged hair and this is what they came up with.
Carrot Face Mask: You probably have all the ingredients for this in your kitchen right now.
Randy’s Homemade Mango Mud Mask: A guy who has never done this kind of thing before tries of making his own mask. Picture above.
Natural Beauty Treatments With Sesame Oil: Lots of good natural recipes for your beauty.