Sometimes we just shut down emotionally. You may have been so hurt or suffered such a loss that you are just numb. Or maybe you have just given up feeling because you don’t like being too vulnerable or sensitive. Learn how to banish the numbness, emotional boredom, or wall of nonfeeling about you that may have developed.
Maybe you are just going through life, feeling bored and disconnected. In any event, emotions do not go away; they simmer below the surface and, if not expressed, can create some unhealthy complexes and patterns in the unconscious mind that can lead to some bad physical and mental stuff. It may not be completely pleasant to accept and express emotions, but it is who we are as human beings.
1. Get a stack of three-by-five index cards and a pen.
2. On each card write an emotion. Make sure you write both good and bad emotions–happiness, sadness, anger, love, satisfaction, frustration, and so on. Make sure to write emotions that you know or suspect you are blocking or needing.
3. Turn all the cards face down and shuffle them about. Relax. Close your eyes. Concentrate on the image of a beautiful, safe, comfortable place, maybe a beach or a field. No one can hurt you here. You are the center of your world. Breathe, relax.
4. Say this affirmation: “I am not my feelings. They are not me. I control what I feel. It doesn’t control me.”
5. Pick a card. Look at it and open up your heart and mind to that emotion. In your mind, see all the images you associate with that emotion. Feel it. Cry, laugh, shout–do whatever feels right.
6. When you become uncomfortable, turn the card over and say, “Stop!” Put it to the side. Close your eyes and return to your beautiful place.
7. Repeat with another card. Say the affirmation, as you need to.
8. Stop when you wish to. Return to the banishing process when you like.
9. End with the affirmation. You have done some intense and powerful work–reward yourself!
Stick to the positive emotions first. If you feel it is all too much, then seek professional help.