- There were more than 300 banana accidents in Britain in 2001, mostly from people slipping on skins.
- You can buy banana beer in East Africa.
- Although the banana is considered a phallic symbol in many cultures, with many crude jokes in the west, the banana fruit is produced asexually.
- Ripe bananas are florescent when exposed to ultraviolet light.
- Bananas grow in Iceland. Well, actually in greenhouses heated by volcanic underground springs.
The Bananas We Now Eat are Second Rate:
The yellow bananas we eat now are called Dwarf Cavandish (or just Cavandish). This particular species was chosen for its transportation and shelf life rather than its taste. They became popular after their predecessor the Gros Michel was commercially wiped out by disease.
Most people agree the Gros Michel tasted much better. During the Gros Michel time, bananas were more popular than they are today. That is why there are so many songs and skits involving bananas. Bananas were so popular that in some areas, modern garbage pickup started because of the need to deal with the mounds of bananas peels left over.
The Cavandish may also be wiped out commercially. Hopefully the next major brand will be taste better!
There Are More Songs About Bananas Than Any Other Fruit:
Bananas Song: This is the classic “Banana Boat Song” by Harry Belafonte (also known as “Day O”)
Banana Rap Song: 12 million views (fun and silly)
Chiquita Banana Song: Lip synced by a grandma…educational too.