How to Buy, Store and Ripen Bananas
- Bananas are picked when they are green because they ripen after being picked.
- Most commercial bananas are picked unripe (green) and shipped in containers just cool enough to stop ripening.
- Once at the market they are stored at higher temps with just a small amount of ethylene gas until they are yellow or green yellow.
- Since bananas (and other fruits) produce their own ethylene gas, you can put them in a sealed container to ripen them faster. Adding other fruit, like an apple, will also help.
- If you put bananas in your fridge, this will make the skins brown and stop the ripening process.
- Most commercial bananas are fumigated. Monkeys and chimps can tell the difference – they will eat the whole banana if it is organic, but will only eat the inner fruit if not.
- Bananas have the most antioxidants when they are the most ripe!
Controversial Side of Bananas:
Bananas have been cultivated in Asia from seven- to ten-thousand years but modern banana production for the west has been centered in banana plantations in the Caribbean and Central America. These plantations have been accused of not contributing to the local or national economy or well being.
Huge multinational corporations (like Chiquita and Dole) developed the banana industry and used political manipulation to further their commercial interests along with US international interests. This is why the terms “Banana Republic” and “banana war” arose.
In eastern energetic orientation, the banana is both cooling and wet.
This is a great balance for hot dry conditions but may be unbalancing for certain constitutions or situations such as a cold or flu.
Bananas, like avocados and chestnuts contain chitinases, that are associated with the latex-fruit allergy syndrome.
If you have an allergy to latex there is the possibility of a reaction. This effect may be moderated for organic and cooked bananas.
Randy Tries Dr. Oz’s Banana Hair Conditioner
Dr. Oz commissioned his researchers to find the best treatment for damaged hair and they ended up with bananas.
Here is the simple recipe with before and after pictures: Banana Conditioner
- Banana Pudding: This is easy peasy to make… and delicious!
- Green Smoothie with Banana: In less than 3 minutes you can whip up a green smoothie that is the healthiest way possible to start your day.