Stress is the root cause of many illnesses. In fact, how we deal with stress can make the difference between health and illness, life and death. It may alter the way we look at the world around us. It affects our feelings about ourselves. Coping with stress can increase our productivity. It can make us healthier. And it can result in fuller, happier, more relaxed lives.
Here are the five simple principles that can help you to a stress-free existence in the New Year:
1. Be who you wish to be. Whenever you find yourself contemplating the idea of becoming, stop and repeat the phrase, “I do not need to become, I will be this person beginning right now.”
2. Solve the problem. It is folly to lament the fact that you have a problem. What you must do is decide on a solution and try it.
3. Concentrate. Whatever you do, put everything into it. If you decide to be lazy, be lazy, concentrate on your laziness! When you relax, really relax.
4. Have faith. Believe in yourself, believe in the religion of your choice (if you choose one at all), believe in an idea or goal. Believe that you can conquer stress through the stress-free habit.
5. Meditate. Meditation is a vehicle for bringing the other four principles into perspective on a regular and orderly basis. Meditation is at the heart of the routine practice of the stress-free habit. It is also one of the best tools available for helping us learn to concentrate.