Upgrade your game day fare with this beer and cheddar fondue. I like to serve this with the usual accompaniments like bread and fresh veggies, but pretzels, pickles, and other pickled vegetables work really well, too. Don’t just go for the classic baguette — try rye or pumpernickel.
Beer & Cheddar Fondue.
- 6 Ounces Jack cheese, grated
- 4 Ounces gruyere, grated
- 4 Ounces sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Cup cheap lager beer; let an opened can come to room temperature before making fondue
- 1 Teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 Dashes hot sauce (optional)
1. Toss all three cheeses with flour in a large bowl until well mixed. Set cheese mixture aside for now.
2. Bring beer to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. When simmering, turn the heat down to medium-low. Slowly add cheese, a little at a time, while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. When the cheese melts, add another handful; continue adding and stirring until almost all of the cheese has melted. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire sauce and optional hot sauce just before the cheese is fully melted. Transfer to fondue pot and serve at once.
Recipe Adapted From: The Fondue Bible.