Adding a simple, shallow birdbath to your garden can have multiple benefits—for you, for the birds and for your garden! Here are five things a garden birdbath will accomplish in your flower or veggie garden. It will:
1. Attract more birds (of course), which will help aerate the surrounding soil
2. Attract birds that will eat bugs, thus helping with garden pest control
3. Attract wasps, which are key predators of pests (such as cabbage worms) that love to eat your garden crops
4. Attract beneficial insects that help with crop pollination
5. Teach you more about the natural, wonderful, quirky habits of all kinds of birds
A few tips to keep in mind are that you don’t need anything fancy, birds can benefit from a birdbath in all seasons (not just summer), and you should prune plants surrounding the fixture so birds can look out (which they’ll naturally want to do as they keep an eye out for predators).
For more info, plus tips on how and where to set up your birdbath, check out the article Birdbaths Are Good for the Garden.
Also, if you’re specifically looking for great advice on helping with pest control in your garden, see Organic Pest Control: What Works, What Doesn’t.
Photo from Fotolia
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.