Seitan (basic recipe)
yields five 3″ x 3″ pieces
18-20 cups water (for boiling)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
4 1/2 cups gluten flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. herb salt (such as Herbamare)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. oregano (optional)
3 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup tamari or substitute
1. In a large pot, add sea salt to the water and bring to a boil.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, yeast & spices). Stir well.
3. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, mix together the remaining liquids.
4. Add liquid to the dry and mix thoroughly until dough is consistent (solid and firm, yet not dry).
5. Pour onto tray and knead dough until all air is removed. Form a rectangular loaf on the tray and cut into even pieces (approximately 3″ x 3″).
6. Place the cut dough into boiling water. Boil for 45-50 minutes.
7. Remove a piece and cut it to see if it is done. (It should be firm all the way through).
8. Take out and cool on a tray. If not for immediate use, leave in large pieces and freeze. Keeps well in the freezer. When removing from freezer, defrost then prepare as directed in recipe.