Blueberry Tart with Lemony Crust Recipe
Simple is good, especially in summer, when the ingredients are so fresh that fancy preparations are totally unnecessary. Take this recipe, for example: you just grab a quart of fresh berries at your local market and pile them into this tender lemon-scented crust and bake them–and you have yourself a gorgeous blueberry treat.
Itís that simple: Blueberry Tart practically straight from the berry bush.
1 recipe Lemony Crust (below)
1 quart fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F. After dough has chilled 30 minutes, remove it from fridge and roll out between two sheets of parchment paper to a 12-inch diameter circle. Remove one sheet of parchment and drape the dough, with the remaining paper side up, over a 9-inch tart pan. Remove the second sheet of paper and press dough carefully into pan. Trim edges. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 15 minutes.
2. Remove any stems from blueberries and pour them evenly into the pastry-lined tart pan.
3. Bake on a baking sheet 45 minutes or until pastry has browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle with confectionerís sugar. Serve warm, room temperature, or cold.
2 tablespoons flaked almonds
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg yolk
3 tablespoons cold water
1. Using a food processor, grind almonds into a fine powder. Add flour, sugar, and lemon zest, and pulse to blend. Add butter cubes and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, then add vanilla, yolk, and water and pulse just until the dough comes together to form a ball.
2. Cover dough with plastic wrap, flatten into a disk, and chill 30 minutes.
Inspired by All-American Desserts, by Judith M. Fertig (Harvard Common Press, 2003).