This recipes is a bit more complicated and calls for some specialty ingredients, but it’s a fun dish if you feel like experimenting!
Hungarian Sweet & Sour Stuffed Cabbage
yields 1 large casserole
1 large head cabbage
2 cups seitan, ground
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup cooked quinoa or millet
1 cup texturized vegetable protein
1 clove garlic, diced finely
1 onion, diced finely
1 Tbsp. oil
1 (12 oz.) can tomato paste
1/2 lb. tofu, rinsed & drained
2 tsp. herb seasoning
1/4 Cup. water
4 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp. tamari or substitute
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
12 oz. can tomato paste, & water (to thin)
sweetener, to taste
fresh lemon juice, to taste
1. Boil water in a large pot. In the pot, place one head of cabbage (remove core to reduce cooking time).
2. While cabbage is cooking, grind the seitan in a food processor, using the “S” shaped blade. Cook the rice and quinoa (see page 12). Pour boiling water over the T.V.P. and let it absorb the water.
3. Stir-fry garlic and onion in one tablespoon oil.
4. In a large mixing bowl, place grains, seitan, T.V.P, garlic powder, onion powder and one can of tomato paste.
5. In a food processor, blend the tofu mixture ingredients and add to the mixing bowl. Mix well.
6. Carefully remove cabbage leaves and let cool for five minutes. Put 1–2 tablespoons of batter in each and roll up, making sure batter is completely covered with the leaf.
7. Mix tomato paste, sweetener and lemon juice. Cover the bottom of a baking dish with this mixture. Place rolls on top of mixture. Before adding second layer, spread more mixture on top of rolls. End with the tomato paste sauce on top of rolls. (Add a little water while baking, if necessary.) Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350° for one hour.
Cool a little before serving.
•Stuffed cabbage stores well in the freezer.
*All recipes have been reproduced from Incredibly Delicious: Recipes for a New Paradigm by Gentle World, which includes over 500 recipes and all sorts of tips to help make the transition to veganism easy and delicious.