This recipe is, quite simply, fantastic. It’s quick and easy to make, healthy and nutritious, and so delicious that it wins everybody over. In fact, we serve this paté whenever we do any kind of educational event, because it’s just so incredibly good.
Cashews provide an incredibly creamy base for this tasty spread, and they are definitely the nut of choice, but if you don’t have them, or you’d prefer to try it with a nut that’s not quite so pricy, feel free to try the same recipe with almonds or sunflower seeds. Nuts like almonds, because they are harder than cashews, do tend to require some soaking, perhaps a few hours, or even overnight if you have that much preparation time… Cashews, on the other hand, as well as being (in this case) the best nut for taste and texture, don’t require any soaking at all.
Once the paté is prepared and chilled, you can serve it in a wrap with vegan mayo and some fresh salad or sprouts, or you can just spread it on crackers or fresh bread… You can even eat it on its own as part of a salad plate.
Cashew Carrot Paté
2–3 cloves garlic, diced
1 slice of sweet onion
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 C. cashews
sea salt, to taste
1/4 C. cold-pressed oil (optional)
1. In a food processor, using the “S” shaped blade, blend the garlic, onion and carrots to a fine consistency.
2. Add cashews, and process along with the remaining ingredients. Stop periodically and scrape the sides with a rubber spatula. Continue to blend until creamy. Chill and serve.
- Try using soaked almonds or sunflower seeds instead of cashews.
- Replace the oil with a little water to help the ingredients blend together.
- Stir in a finely-chopped stalk of fresh celery.
Photo: Fotoos Van Robin
Gentle World is a non-profit educational organization, whose core purpose is to help build a more peaceful society, by educating the public about the reasons for being vegan, the benefits of vegan living, and how to go about making such a transition. Visit www.GentleWorld.org for more information.