Chilled Grape Soup (Recipe)
Mix and match your favorite grape varieties for this tasty dessert soup.
This recipe calls for gelatin, a no-no for many vegans and vegetarians. But fear not — many brands of kosher gelatin (available in ethnic grocery stores) do not contain animal products.
Chilled Grape Soup
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 Whole cloves
- 10 Black peppercorns
- 2 (2 by 1-inch) strips fresh lemon zest, plus 1 teaspoon finely grated, divided
- 2 (2 by 1-inch) strips fresh orange zest
- 1/2 Teaspoon unflavored gelatin (see note above)
- 1 1/2 Cups plus 1 tablespoon white grape juice
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 Cups mixed grapes, stemmed, seeded as needed and halved
- Kitchen twine
- Metal spoon
1. Place cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns, lemon zest strip and orange zest strip in a 5-inch square of cheesecloth. Tie closed with twine.
2. Pour 1 tablespoon grape juice in a small cup and sprinkle gelatin over it. Let it sit for about 1 minute.
3. In a 1-2 quart saucepan, combine remaining 1 1/2 cups grape juice, sugar, and nutmeg. Place spice bag in saucepan and bring mixture to a boil; remove from heat, stir in gelatin mixture with a metal spoon until it has dissolved.
4. Place ice and cold water in the largest bowl you have. Pour soup into the next largest bowl, place it in the larger bowl, and cover. Refrigerate for 8-12 hours — no more, no less. Before serving, remove and discard spice bag, and stir in grated lemon zest an grapes.
Recipe Credit: Epicurious.