Make some mushroom tacos for Cinco de Mayo!
I was talking to my sister Amanda last night about recipes for Cinco de Mayo. I told her that I wanted to do mushroom tacos with collard slaw, and we went through a bunch of ways that could happen. What we settled on was this kind of Tex Mex-Asian fusion situation. Amanda said, “Oh yes. Authentic for Cinco de Mayo.”
OK, so these mushroom tacos might not be super authentic, but they are super delicious! My sis suggested serving them topped with a fruit salsa, and I think that is a great idea! I didn’t have the makings for fruit salsa when I made these tacos, but next time I’m doing that for sure.
Cinco de Mayo Recipes
If you’re planning a full-on Cinco de Mayo shindig, you’ll probably need more to eat than just a tray of tacos. Here are some other food and drink ideas to round out your meal!
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Milkshakes
- Peach Salsa with Cucumber and Mint
- Easy Tostadas
- Avocado Corn Cups
- Mushroom Tacos with Ginger Collard Slaw (recipe below)
Are you planning anything for Cinco de Mayo? What food and drinks are on the menu?
This is a small-batch recipe, so you can scale it up to feed as many people as you need! I’d figure 2 tacos per person.
Yield: 4 tacos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, cut into 1/4″ slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 batch Ginger Collard Slaw (recipe below)
- 1/2 a Haas avocado, sliced
- 4 small wheat or corn tortillas
- In a frying pan, heat the oil on medium and sautee the mushrooms with your salt and pepper until the mushrooms soften.
- Divide the cooked mushrooms between your four tortillas. Top with a couple of slices of avocado and about 2 tablespoons of the slaw. Serve!
Ginger Collard Slaw
makes enough for 6-8 tacos
- 2 leaves collard greens, destemmed and cut into thin ribbons
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- juice of 1/4 a fresh lemon
- 1/8 cup shredded carrots
- 1/8 cup green onions, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the collards, salt, ginger, oil, and lemon. Massage until the collards begin to wilt then add the carrots and green onions.