Classic Deep-Dish Blueberry Pie
Blueberries are super-rich in cancer-fighting, age-defying, healthful antioxidants and this classic pie is just bursting with blueberry goodness.
What do you get when you stuff a tender pie crust with lots of sweet fresh blueberries? A big blue smile with every bite. Here is the recipe for Classic Deep-Dish Blueberry Pie.
1 cup packed organic brown sugar
5 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
6 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
Dough for a double-crust pie
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 425F with baking sheet on the middle rack.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and tapioca. Add blueberries and lemon juice and toss to combine.
3. Roll out the larger round of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 13-inch round. Fit the dough into a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate, trimming to leave a 1/2-inch overhang. Place on refrigerator to chill.
4. Roll out top crust into an 11-inch round. Cut out steam vents with small decorative cookie cutters.
5. Remove pie plate from fridge and spoon filling and juices into it. Dot with butter, then cover with top crust. Trim top crust to 1/2-inch overhang, then crimp top and bottom crust edges together. Brush top with egg-and-water wash.
6. Bake 30 minutes on hot baking sheet, then cover edges with foil to prevent over-browning. Reduce oven to 375F and continue baking 45 to 50 minutes, until filling is bubbly and crust is golden.
7. Cool pie completely on a rack, around 4 hours (otherwise, filling will be runny).
Serves 8 to 10.
Inspired by Gourmet Magazine.