Sticky popcorn balls and gooey caramel apples: two classic treats that declare fall and Halloween are here. Typically, these delights are loaded with corn syrup, sugar, and/or butter. For a healthier alternative with a similar taste, experiment with the following recipes.
Vegan Popcorn Balls
Yields 12 balls
1/2 cup organic popcorn kernels
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup organic maple syrup
1/2 cup barley malt syrup
1 cup cold water, to prevent sticky hands
1. Pop popcorn, per instructions on package and place in a large bowl.
2. Mix maple and barley malt syrups in a small sauce pan, and bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat to medium-low, and stir constantly for 5-6 minutes.
4. Pour the hot syrup over the popcorn and mix thoroughly.
5. Slightly moisten your hands with cold water, and form balls by firmly packing the mixture in your hands. Be sure to moisten your hands before making each ball.
6. Place balls in a covered container or wrap in wax paper, then freeze until the syrup hardens.
Vegan Caramel Sauce with Apples
Yields 1 cup of sauce
1 cup of vanilla soy milk
3/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/3 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon vegan margarine (A brand like Earth Balance has no hydrogenated oils, contains no GMO’s, and is gluten-free.)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine soy milk, brown rice and maple syrups in a saucepan over medium heat until boiling (about 10 minutes.) Whisk continuously to prevent sticking.
2. Mix water and arrowroot in a small bowl.
3. When the boiling mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon, add the mixed water and arrowroot. Cook for 2 more minutes, whisking continuously.
4. Remove from heat and stir in vegan margarine and vanilla extract.
5. Cool and drizzle over apple slices.