“Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”— Viktor E. Frankl
The past few months we’ve seen a number of calamities throughout the world. Too many to detail all of them, but the latest that’s in our consciousness is Hurricane Irene. In a relatively unusual pattern, the storm drifted up the east coast and did tremendous damage to many areas in ways that hadn’t been seen for many years. Apparently this was in part due to the Atlantic Ocean being a little warmer than usual, thus feeding the hurricane’s intensity. In addition we’ve had a summer of record heat waves, earthquakes, floods, and wildfires here in the U.S. as well as other parts of the world.
By now there’s little or no doubt that we’re witness to dramatic changes in the Earth, and can expect these to continue for some time as the planet persists in its balancing act just like it’s been doing since its birth over four and a half billion years ago. In that time, the climate has changed countless numbers of times, yet here we are in the midst of one. It just happens that a few billion of us are living on the skin of Gaia and by default we’re all involved.
Simultaneously there’s an evolutionary progression in our human consciousness as well. Many of us are being called to maintain a conscious alignment with God/Spirit/Creator as much as we possibly can, to not fear the darkness but to BE the light in the darkness. Even if the darkness inside you in the form of some insidious shadow is attempting to inhibit or completely block your soul’s purpose and mission, you can still maintain that critical alignment with your Higher Self.
Before writing this piece I decided to ask Spirit what I should write, so I did a shamanic journey and was taken to Turtle spirit. Turtle has been showing up in a number of ways recently and has become a significant spirit guide the past three weeks, in physical and symbolic form. He started showing up while on our vacation. I was showing Bill and Stephanie the new Children’s Spirit Animal Cards and pulled one to demonstrate, asking what I needed to know for the trip. It was Turtle saying, “Take your time!” It was a perfect message that continues to resonate.
In the journey one of the first things he said was, “Slow down! Keep your focus on appreciation and gratitude as much as possible. Yes, the Earth is changing, but it always has been and always will be. As for human beings, since conscious awareness was introduced in your species by the Light Beings thousands of years ago, you now have forgotten that you are merely guests upon this planet. As the eons went on, momentum for this forgetfulness multiplied. You forgot how your ancient ancestors knew so much more than you do now about being in harmony with the Earth.
Turtle went on to offer some other gems of wisdom: “Sometimes your thoughts will manufacture survival situations and react accordingly, when there really isn’t one. Most of the time instinct will take care of you. It’s part of the design that’s meant to help you survive, and coupled with a higher order of logic and reasoning, you can’t go wrong. Especially when there’s collaboration between instinct and that remarkable gift of human consciousness and reasoning.
“When your instinctual responses are triggered by habitual thought patterns based in fear, even though the circumstances don’t require such a response, just slow down, breathe, and pay close attention to what’s happening in that moment. Look around and notice where you are in the moment. Feel your feet on the ground. Look up at the sky.”
A powerful message from Turtle spirit, one that holds promise and hope. I’m reminded also how remarkably adaptive and resourceful we can be as new systems emerge to supplant those that are dissipating. There’s so much evidence of not only the evolution of human consciousness but of adaptations that are already taking place, such as the use of natural and sustainable energy resources, the increase in consumption of organic and local foods, and alternative health care for both prevention and healing.
Turtle’s counsel to not give in to fear is very wise. As an Earth Sensitive, know that you will feel both the vibrations of the Earth herself as well as the waves of fear and sadness that are pulsating through the collective consciousness, especially whenever there are catastrophic events. That’s when it’s even more critical to dispel the fear as soon as possible, and return your attention and awareness to the present moment and ideally, to a focus on appreciation and gratitude. Here are a few ideas that can work for you.
- First, check in and see if you are resonating with the fear that is moving through the collective consciousness. As a Sensitive, know that you’re more vulnerable to these collective waves of emotion and reactivity.
- Get out doors, take your shoes and socks off, sit near a tree, and meditate.
- BREATHE! Learn to use your reactive fear as a trigger for taking three to six slow, deep breaths. It will oxygenate the body, clear your mind, and help you discern what is needed in any particular situation.
- Talk to someone who will listen and understand what you’re saying. Share your feelings without judging them, but don’t indulge them more than necessary.
- Do a walking meditation, if possible barefoot, but if not, leather soled shoes rather than rubber. Walk for 5-15 minutes at about 75% of your usual speed. Breathe slowly and steadily.
- Turn it over to God. One of the principles of any 12 step recovery program is to do this whenever the urge to drink, smoke, act out, etc. This works for fear too.
- Gratitude. Make it a point to say “thank you” or other expressions of gratitude and appreciation at least a dozen times each day.
- Pray. Prayers of thankfulness rather than requests. Bless your food at every meal, taking a few moments and asking that the food before you harmonize with your body and mind.
- Sing, dance, or indulge in any artistic endeavor. Draw, paint, sculpt or write. Whatever you feel drawn to or feel passionate about.
- Find space and time to sit in silence for a few minutes to an hour, away from the usual noise that you are so accustomed to hearing.
Choose two or three of these and incorporate them into your spiritual practices. I’d also encourage you to seek signs through divination, paying close attention to signs and omens that are presented to you. Spirit animals are one way to receive information and guidance, as well as ancestors, angels, plant spirits, or any other etheric or physical form that Spirit emanates through.
This era of the shift in human consciousness requires us to align ourselves with Spirit and not get caught up in any rigid doctrine or fundamentalism, but instead learn to attune our internal antenna to the multitude of ways that Spirit seeks to guide and protect us.
Blessings to you all! May God be the guiding force in your life at all times!