Cranberries and pecans make this a fun and delicious way to eat quinoa. The light dressing complements the subtle flavors of the quinoa.
2 cups quinoa
4 cups water
½ teaspoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ribs celery, chopped
3-4 Tablespoons green onions, sliced thin
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
5 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons cilantro, minced
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
- Place water and quinoa in a 2-quart pot. Add ¼ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. oil. Bring to a boil and then simmer at a very low heat. Do not stir. Cook covered for about 15 minutes until small peaks form on top of quinoa and liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat. Stand covered for 10 minutes before transferring to a bowl and cool to room temperature. (Can cool faster in refrigerator if preferred.)
- Gently mix dressing in small bowl or measuring cup with a fork.
- Add dressing to quinoa and mix in.
- Add in vegetables, nuts and cranberries and mix well.
- Serve at room temperature.
Cooking time: 30 minutes