Creamy Spinach & Broccoli Soup (Recipe)
Creamy vegetable soups can be misleading. Sure, you’re getting plenty of vegetables, but you’re also getting a lot of calories and fat. Also, creamy vegetable soups are often a little too creamy and lacking in that great veggie goodness. This recipe is a great counter to that: you get them creaminess, but with less of a calorie punch. Serve it with some crusty bread and you’re all set for a tasty springtime dinner!
Creamy Spinach & Broccoli Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, with more for drizzling
- 1 Leek, white and pale green parts only, sliced thinly
- 4 Cups vegetable stock
- 6 Cups chopped broccoli (about 1 bunch)
- 6 Cups baby spinach (about 6 ounces)
- 1/3 Cup freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Stir in leek. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until leek is tender. Stir in broccoli and cook for an additional 2 minutes until tender. Remove saucepan from heat. Add spinach, parmesan and tahini and stir to combine. Season with salt and paper to taste. Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
2. Transfer about 1/3 of the soup to blender and puree. Transfer pureed soup to serving bowls. Repeat with remaining soup.
Recipe Credit: Whole Living.