Crunchy Chinese Fried Rice
A delicious rice dish filled with crunchy textures. We add a little hoisin sauce for added flavor.
1 ½ cups brown basmati rice
3 cups water
1/3 cup celery, chopped
1/3 cup mung bean sprouts
1 cup carrots, julienned
3 tablespoons peas
½ bunch green onions, thinly sliced
8 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon sesame oil, toasted
¼ teaspoon ginger, finely minced
½ teaspoon garlic, finely minced
2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons soy sauce
- Cook rice by bringing water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add rice and lower to a simmer. Cover and continue to cook until water has evaporated. Once rice is cooked remove from pot and bring to room temperature. You can speed this process by putting rice in refrigerator if needed.
- In sauté pan or wok heat 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté veggies except for peas along with ginger and garlic until carrots are tender crisp. Set aside.
- Whip eggs in a bowl and cook in pan with 1 tablespoon of oil, and scramble in same pan omelet-style, flipping over once. Remove to cutting board and cut up into strip pieces. Set aside.
- Fry rice in remaining oil on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Do not stir very often so you get crunchy pieces.
- Mix everything together; rice, vegetables and eggs including peas, hoisin sauce and soy sauce. And serve.
Total cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Up Next – Asian Eggplant Stir-Fry