START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

Cutting Off the Moldy Part? Not So Fast

Imagine this: It’s 9pm, you’re home from a long day at the office, and all that’s left in your fridge is the leftovers of a sandwich. You’re already in your sweats, so there’s literally nothing that will get you out of the house to pick up fresh groceries now. But uh oh, plot twist! There’s a little mold on the bread. You can just cut off the small moldy part and commence chowing down on the rest, right?

Wrong! Back away from the sandwich. It turns out that just cutting off the moldy bits doesn’t make a food safe to eat once it’s gone bad.

The moldy patches that you’re seeing are the mold spores, but a mold colony is also made up of strands called hyphae that are invisible to the naked eye. So when it comes to soft, porous foods like bread, fruit, and soft cheeses, there are tendrils of mold spreading throughout—way past a spot of visible mold. You want to avoid ingesting those—some molds, primarily those found in grains and nuts, contain mycotoxins, which are poisonous substances that can cause allergic reactions, respiratory problems, and even cancer.

Harder foods are safer to eat once you get rid of the moldy part—think hard cheeses and salami.

Watch the video above for more.

 

Related

3 Ways to Kill Mold Naturally

7 Sources of Mold in the Kitchen

Read more: Eating for Health, Food, General Health, Health, Health & Safety, Home, Videos, Videos

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Diana Vilibert

Diana Vilibert is a freelance writer living in Brooklyn. You can be blog-friends with her at dianavilibert.com, or tweet her at @dianavilibert.

217 comments

+ add your own
5:27AM PDT on Aug 25, 2014

A memory, my dad used to say, that mold was penicillin. I was like, really?! lol He would cut that part off afterward and partake.

4:27AM PDT on May 12, 2014

Thanks

12:56AM PDT on Apr 1, 2014

thank you for posting

9:46PM PST on Feb 28, 2014

what about blue cheeses?

8:51PM PST on Feb 28, 2014

Thanks for the information, it's appreciated.

12:12PM PST on Feb 28, 2014

I know, but sometimes it happens... :P

11:47AM PST on Feb 28, 2014

I try very hard not to keep food until it has mold on it, by the time it has how can you be sure that some of the mold spores haven't spread to other things.

5:38AM PST on Feb 28, 2014

Cheese you will probably get away with, but eating mouldy bread will probably find you at the center of a Salem witch trial.

3:12AM PST on Feb 28, 2014

interesting article...

2:51AM PST on Feb 28, 2014

Thank you.

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

Sorry, but salt and butter are healthy and add flavor. Don't fall for this conventional wisdom healt…

Moderation in all things is the key for me.

#14 pour over ice to get rid of a bad day. Lol

...or just use rubbing alcohol, and drink the vodka.

CONTACT THE EDITORS



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.