These mouth-watering little treats are so delicious, the grateful recipients will never guess how healthy they are! Made with almonds, dates, and coconut flakes, these lower-in-fat-and-sugar morsels will disappear in no time. Date Nut Truffles make a lovely dessert, gift, or pot luck offering.
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
2 cups pitted dates
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute
1. Cover dates with water in a saucepan and bring to a boil, then remove from heat, cover, and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Drain dates, reserving 1 tablespoon of the water. Puree dates and reserved liquid in a blender or food processor until smooth.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds until light brown, 3 or 4 minutes.
3. Place pureed dates in a bowl and add the almonds, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, almond extract, and a pinch of salt. Stir well to combine.
4. Place the coconut flakes on a plate. Combine cocoa, sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in a bowl.
5. Shape the date mixture into 1-inch balls, roll in coconut mixture, and then in cocoa mixture.