Beautifully packaged by Nature, coconut is a wonder food indeed. In Southern India, coconut is routinely picked off trees and used for preparing some exquisite dishes, the most popular among them being coconut chutney, best enjoyed with rice pancakes.
But here’s one of my favorite ways to cook with coconuts. To me, few dishes rival fresh coconut meat paired with good quality basmati rice and served piping hot. This is truly a delicacy, which you can cook easily and quickly. Do try it at home:
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp ghee + 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cardamom pod, crushed, skin discarded
- 1 cup coconut meat, grated
- Salt to your taste
- 2 cups water
1. Heat the ghee and the oil together in a pan.
2. Add the cinnamon stick and crushed cardamom seeds; let sizzle for a few seconds.
3. Put in the grated coconut, and stir thoroughly.
4. Cook on low heat until the coconut begins to brown and gives off a delicate aroma.
5. In another pan, cook the rice and water together. When the water comes to a boil, lower the flame, cover the pan, and cook until the rice is soft and done.
6. Gently mix the cooked coconut with the rice while itís still warm, and enjoy it either on its own or with a spicy stew/lentils.
Next: Learn 15 amazing healing benefits of coconut