Have you done your spring cleaning yet?
Just like our homes need a thorough cleaning to freshen them for summer, so do our bodies.
lThe cells in our body are always producing waste so constant cleansing is necessary to keep them functioning. Unfortunately, due to our toxic environment and unhealthy lifestyles, our cleansing systems are often overworked.
nextWhen we overwork cleansing organs–such as our livers–long enough, eventually so much waste builds up that they cannot do their jobs. This toxicity causes chronic conditions to develop and is one of the ways our body degenerates over time. This is where a healthy elimination system comes in handy. So, now are you interested in the benefits of a spring cleanse
Waste can build up even faster due to a poor diet, overeating, drinking too much soda or coffee, not exercising, working too much and not getting enough sleep. We know what we should and should not be doing. But it still happens – even to us ‘health nuts’.
According to the Chinese, spring is the time to cleanse and nourish the liver! Fire, or at least a heat element is active, and this beckons your body toward the kind of relaxation that makes us “melt” a little. Like the dirt and pollens that become exposed when the snow melts, the toxins start becoming exposed in your body and need to be eliminated. You can support this cleansing with proper foods and natural herbs.
Because of the “melting” this is also a time when it is easier to lose weight!
There are so many kinds of “detox diets,” cleansing and fasting regimes out there, and most of them you need to be careful about trying. Often calories are severely limited during a detox which can result in extreme fatigue. Many of these detox diets are fad diets and can be harsh on the body.
I have endured two different major spring cleanses:
- Water fasting is an extreme way to detoxify and not something I recommend doing on your own. It is best to be in a clinic with expert supervision.
In 1996 I went to a clinic and did a three week water fast under the supervision of a doctor and his staff. I had daily blood pressure and heart examinations. I was in a near-death situation with my health deteriorating fast, and the water fast stopped my downward spiral in its tracks. Although I stopped getting any sicker–the fast did not completely heal me at all.
- Liver cleanses help rid the body of excess toxins and alleviate digestive problems from the heavy meals eaten during the winter months. This is a strong cleanse and can even be detrimental according to modern research.
In 1972 I did my first spring liver cleanse. It all started with a group of us sitting in the waiting room drinking olive oil and lemon juice at intervals all morning. It was not fun. Every day for the next two weeks I would visit the clinic for a colonic and massage and see the naturopath. It totally took over my life; I was not able to carry on easily in my life due to frequent restroom trips.
Next page: 10 Benefits of the Spring Cleanse and 8 Tips for Bodily Health
10 benefits you can expect from doing a gentle ‘spring cleanse’:
1. Weight Loss Happens! Toxins are stored in fat cells. When toxins are eliminated, so are fat cells.
2. Beautiful Skin is healthy skin. Toxins in the body can destroy our skin with pimples, etc.
3. Digestion Works! A clogged digestive system stops doing its job efficiently.
4. More Energy! As toxic waste leaves the body there can be increased energy.
5. Breathing is easier because your respiratory system becomes free and unclogged.
6. Helps prevent disease. Dr. Elson Haas states, “By regularly purging the body of unhealthy toxins and waste, you can assist the body’s natural defenses and help to prevent disease before it starts.”
7. Brain is clearer. You’ll start to see improved concentration and mental focus–the results of a cleaner system!
8. Joints are more flexible.
9. Feeling of rejuvenation as the body is renewed.
10. Being filled with motivation and creativity as you feel lighter and freer.
What we need is a detox program designed to fit into our life. Too often, people go to cleansing retreats or on a detox diet at home and end up returning to unhealthy eating and drinking habits and lifestyles. That does not work!
I recommend doing a gentle spring/liver cleanse which is easy on the body and you can still continue with your life.
8 Simple things you can do to cleanse your body for two days:
1. Drink more water: start your day with 2 – 3 cups of water every morning.
2. Eat fresh fruits daily: eat a breakfast of fresh juicy fruits (not sweet ones like bananas).
3. Eat lots of vegetables and their juices: for lunch have a big salad and for a snack have fresh vegetable juice.
4. Leave out all cooked food. That means no grains, starches or proteins for these two days.
5. Soaking toxins away in a bath: have an epsom salt bath nightly.
6. Exercise creates sweating: walk up lots of stairs or hills.
7. Breathe fully and deeply: this is something to always do.
8. Sleeping deeply.
Many of these points are ones you can incorporate into your day every day.
Also, to help cleanse: No overeating and no junk food.
There you go: a very simple way to do a spring cleanse at any time of the year.
For myself, I drink two very gentle cleansing yummy teas 365 days a year so I do not need to do special cleanses.
I know most people do not do this so I have put together a Gentle Spring/Liver Cleanse Training.
This offers an online supportive structure for people who know they should be doing something for their health but need the some extra knowledge, inspiration, focus and perhaps hand-holding.