Divine Lemony Roasted Broccoli
My love affair with roasted Brussels sprouts rages on. I just love the way roasting brings out their sweetness, and enhances their nutty flavor. I’ve been so enjoying them that I decided to see if I could recreate the joyful experience with broccoli, their cruciferous cousin.
I looked online to see what temp to roast broccoli at and found this simple, yummy sounding recipe from Ina Garten, a.k.a., the Barefoot Contessa, for lemony roasted broccoli that I modified slightly. The prep is very simple — you wash and cut up the broccoli into florets and chunks — I always include the stem as it’s just as tasty and nutritious as the florets — no need to waste it! Toss with olive oil, minced garlic, lemon zest, sea salt and freshly ground pepper and spread in a single layer on a heavy baking sheet.
Roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, flipping once to ensure even roasting. Et voila, you’ve got the most divine, sweetly caramelized, richly nutty, fragrantly garlicky, lemony treat you can imagine. It may not look like much but it will melt in your mouth. It’s great on its own as a side or topped with Parmesan cheese and mixed with pasta.
Lemony Roasted Broccoli
Serves 2-4 as a side
* 1 large bunch of broccoli, cleaned, trimmed and cut into florets and chunks of a similar size
* Zest of two lemons (get organic since you’ll be using the skin) and the juice of one of them
* 3-4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
* 3-4 Tbsps olive oil for roasting
* Sea salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the broccoli florets on a heavy baking sheet large enough to hold them in a single layer.
2. Toss the garlic with half the lemon zest, all of the garlic, sea salt, pepper, and the olive oil. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once to ensure even roasting, until the pieces are crisp-tender and browned at the tips.
3. Remove the broccoli from the oven and toss with other half of the lemon zest and the juice from one lemon. Serve hot.
You might also like:
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Garlic-Parmesan Buttered Breadcrumb Topping
- Roasted Curried Cauliflower
- Lemon-Scented Pasta With Swiss Chard & Ricotta
- Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheese
- Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad with Almonds & Pecorino