How and Where to Build a Dog Doody Composter
Ideally, you should repurpose a trash can. You are basically destroying and burying the thing, so just find the cheapest, most damaged can at a thrift store if you don’t have an extra bin at home.
• Drill holes in the sides of the can, then cut off the bottom.
• Dig a hole about two inches wider and 5 inches deeper than the trash can.
• Fill the first five inches of the hole with gravel to facilitate drainage.
• Drop the trash can in the hole.
• Fill around the can with more gravel to facilitate drainage from the sides of the bin.
• Add water, put the lid back on the can and let biology work its magic.
As a newspaper reporter, I am only left with one worry: If you have potty-trained your dog and don’t need to leave newspaper all over the floor, and you have replaced the newspaper sleeve with biodegradable doody bags, are you going to cancel your newspaper subscription?