START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

Dog and Woman Rescued from Burning Apartment

Dog and Woman Rescued from Burning Apartment

A woman reentered her burning apartment to rescue her service dog in a cooking fire accident late Tuesday. A fire in the Tempe residence had broken out after the woman’s son accidentally left a gas burner on before leaving. The woman and her dog were sleeping. The rescued dog is a seven year-old Shepherd/Rottweiler in service to reduce the woman’s anxiety.

The woman initially left the burning residence but came back to get the dog. She was able to locate him but her path was blocked and she wound up isolated on a balcony. Firefighters had to get them both down and they then administered oxygen and CPR to the dog, who was initially unresponsive. Both the woman and her dog are expected to recover. The woman only had minor injuries and she has been given temporary shelter through the Red Cross.

There was no smoke detector in the apartment, but if there had been one in functioning order it may have provided the woman with extra time to get her dog and vacate the burning home. According to FEMA several thousand people die each year in home fires where there are no smoke alarms.

Besides leaving the the gas on, other causes of fires are having combustible material near cooking surfaces. Some people leave magazines, newspapers and books too close to burners and some store cleaning solvents nearby. Additionally cooking oils can catch fire, so none of these materials should be stored on a stove or too close to gas burners.

 

Image Credit: Public Domain, Wiki Commons

 

Related Links

Dog Rescue Turns Deadly

Dog Saved Elderly Lady?

Read more: Conscious Consumer, Dogs, Pets

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

52 comments

+ add your own
4:01AM PST on Nov 23, 2012

Great:-)Thanks

12:39AM PST on Nov 23, 2012

Thanks for the info!!

11:39AM PDT on Aug 31, 2012

they were lucky, but people should be fined if they don't have smoke detectors

1:14PM PDT on Jul 22, 2012

I'm glad both woman & dog are okay but WTH??? Smoke detectors are inexpensive....and so are batteries.....it's proven that these devices save lives so why would you NOT have one?

5:56AM PDT on May 19, 2012

and they lived happily ever after......................

3:53AM PDT on May 6, 2012

glad they are both ok thanks for sharing :)

9:27AM PDT on May 4, 2012

glad they're both ok.

4:14PM PDT on Apr 27, 2012

I'm glad both will be okay. I'm sure her son learned a lesson and will be more careful from now on. I hope they will get a couple of smoke detectors to avoid a bad situation in the future.

9:31PM PDT on Apr 25, 2012

Good news and appreciate your brave efforts.God bless you.

6:14AM PDT on Apr 21, 2012

happy news

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

Talk to the paw! I'm not talking since you stood me up.

I HAVE FOUND THE ULTIMATE WAY TO WRAP A CAT FOR CHRISTMAS, OR ANY OTHER DAY FOR THAT MATTER, AND THA…

I'm not going to change my ways. If cancer is looking for me it will find me anyway.

Thanks for the reminder that, even though we might no longer have any family, we can be of use and f…

Possibly... As with many of these things though, I suspect the exceptions are more important than t…

CONTACT THE EDITORS



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.