A chocolate lab left alone inside a hot car on a July day repeatedly honked the car horn to let his owner know that he needed help to get out of the sweltering heat.
He had been left in the car for about an hour. The first time the dog owner heard the car horn sound she went outside and didn’t see anyone, so she went back inside. More honking got her outside again where she saw her dog sitting in the driver’s seat of her car.
Animal hospital worker Nancy Soares said of the incident, “Number 1… Max saved his own life by honking the horn to get himself out of a very, very overheated car. Number 2, the Gardners are such good pet owners that they looked at him first. They managed to get his temperature down a little bit before they got here.”
Cars are basically solar collectors and reach high temperatures quickly. Even if windows are left cracked, they can become very hot.
The Humane Society has cautioned when traveling with animals by car, “during warm weather, the inside of your car can reach 120 degrees in a matter of minutes, even if you’re parked in the shade. ”
Cats and dogs can’t perspire like humans can, and perspiration is the human cooling system. Leaving an animal in a hot car for even several minutes can cause exhaustion, brain damage and even death. Some people like to take their pets in the car while doing errands, but on a warm day it is better to leave them at home to avoid the risk of forgetting about them, and leaving them to suffer in an overheated car.
Image Credit: theBlackBrian
How to Prevent Heat Stroke in Pets
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.