In Durango, Colorado about two cases of dog poisoning by marijuana consumption are occurring monthly, up from just one a year. The reason for the increase – medical marijuana access has expanded so dogs are exposed to more of it. Generally marijuana consumption by dogs doesn’t cause long-term health problems or deaths it is currently believed, but it does render them stoned and sometimes unable to walk, eat or drink properly. Once a dog eats marijuana, they typically require professional care. The marijuana effect depends upon the size of the dog, the amount they ate and the marijuana’s concentration.
Medical marijuana is placed in foods as a delivery method, and everyone knows dogs can’t resist food, so some times they are consuming their owners pot pain relief accidentally. A variety of foods can be used, and there is even a marijuana dispensary restaurant in Colorado called Ganja Gourmet offering brownies, medicated pizza, and pot pies, for example – just don’t bring dogs.
A veterinarian named Eric Barchas wrote on this website the symptoms of marijuana pet poisoning can be: “Anxiety, panting, and agitation commonly occur following exposure to marijuana. In some pets, marijuana toxicity results in profound lethargy that can border on unconsciousness.”
Has your pet ever eaten anything potentially dangerous?
Image Credit: O’Dea
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.