Health Benefits of Sprouts:
- A potent source of antioxidants and alkalizing to the body. Both of these effects are essential for protecting against disease and strengthening the immune system.
- A good source of essential fatty acids, which many diets are lacking in.
- An excellent source of fiber.
- Rich in chlorophyll (if you allow them to reach their green leaf stage). [Chlorophyll is a powerful blood cleanser and blood builder.]
- A good source of vitamins. [The vitamin density of some seeds can increase from 100% to 2000% after several days of sprouting.]
- Filled with an array of essential minerals. [During sprouting, the minerals develop into a chelated form (making them easier for the body to utilize). ]
- A good source of protein. [One cup of mung bean sprouts has 3.16 grams of protein!]*
Sprouts are low in calories and low on the glycemic index, making the high return for your investment worth the initial time and money spent. Only a few dollars and a few easy days will provide you with a number of fresh, nutrient-rich meals or snacks.
So start the New Year right and sprout some delicious seeds, legumes and grains today!
*From the USDA Nutritional Database.
Next: Simple directions to grow your own sprouts and a yummy sprouted lentil salad recipe!