This is a fun way to cook with eggplant. With exotic flavors and different textures of the heartiness of bulgur and creaminess of béchamel sauce, this dish is both interesting and flavorful.
3 eggplant, cut in 1 inch thick rounds
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups onions, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
˝ cup bulgur, uncooked
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
1 cup water
14 oz. can chopped tomatoes, undrained
1 cup marinara sauce
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Turn oven to 450 degrees.
- Brush eggplant slices with half the olive oil and place in pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle eggplant with half teaspoon of salt. Bake eggplant for 20-30 minutes or until browned. (You can also broil if you prefer for 5 minutes on each side.)
- Heat skillet and add remaining oil to pan. Sautee onion and garlic for six minutes and add bulgur. Cook on low heat for three minutes to lightly toast bulgur. Add water, chopped tomato and marinara sauce, one teaspoon salt and seasonings. Cook for one more minute and remove from heat.
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add flour. Cook one minute and slowly whisk in milk, removing all lumps. Bring to a simmer and continue to heat until thick, whisking constantly. Stir in two tablespoons parmesan cheese and remaining salt. Remove from heat and whisk in egg.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bulgur mixture into sprayed 11×7 pan and top with eggplant. Spread with milk mixture and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered in oven for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cooking time: 1 hour, fifteen minutes