Ever wonder why even just ten minutes in someone’s presence can make you feel completely drained of energy? The author of Dracula may have been on to something: energy vampires do exist, but they’re not bad people, they just aren’t a good match for your energy.
Short of stringing garlic around your neck, what can you do to mitigate the effects of time spent with an energy vampire? Here is a simple technique to ward off that drained-of-life feeling, and some pointers for recognizing the effect that other people have on your energy level:
You don’t need to judge someone who is an energy vampire for you: keep in mind that one person’s energy vampire may be another person’s energy angel. It’s all about how that person’s energy melds with your own.
That said, here are the telltale signs of a bad energetic match:
1. You often get unaccountably depressed after time spent with the person, even though your mind often tells you, “But they‘re really nice!”
2. After time in this person’s company, your energy level drops so that you feel exhausted or lethargic. If you spend many hours with them, you could even get physically sick.
3. You find yourself groaning inwardly or dreading it when you know you are going to be in the presence of this person.
4. Even thinking of them makes you feel low or tired.
When you can’t avoid spending time in the presence of someone that you know is an energy vampire for you, try this helpful technique. It calls on the power of an ancient Hindu mudra, or hand position:
1. Imagine that you are surrounded by a golden-yellow egg of warm healthy light.
2. Make two circles by touching together the middle fingers and thumbs of both hands, then interlock them.
3. Hold your hand in this position in front of your solar plexus.