A heavenly mixture of tastes: sweet, sour, bitter, salty–and with the added delight of blue cheese and zippy honey-spiced pecans. What more could any salad-lover ask?
High in fiber, rich in flavor, destined to be a favorite.
1 head escarole, 10-12 ounces, washed, dried, and torn into leaves
4 ounces gorgonzola or other blue-veined cheese, crumbled and divided
3/4 cup Honey Glazed Pecans
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette
1. Toss together the escarole, half the gorgonzola, and half of the pecans in a large bowl along with the vinaigrette. Divide among 4 plates and garnish with the remaining gorgonzola and pecans. Serve immediately.
1 egg white
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 pound pecans
1. Preheat oven to 300F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or a Silpat.
2. Whisk the egg white in a large bowl until very foamy. Add the honey and continue whisking for 5 to 10 seconds. Add cinnamon, ginger, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, and pecans. Mix until very well coated, and spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the baking sheet every 10 minutes and stir the mixture completely to ensure even baking.
4. Cool and store in a covered container at room temperature for up to one week.
Makes 1 pound.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 scant tablespoon honey (fireweed, if available)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced chives
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1. Whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and honey until emulsified. Continuing to whisk, slowly pour in the olive oil. They should blend and emulsify easily. Stir in the salt, pepper, chives, and shallots. This dressing will keep well in the refrigerator, covered tightly, for 2 weeks.
Makes 1 cup.
Adapted from Covered in Honey, by Mani Niall (Rodale, 2003). Copyright (c) 2003 by Mani Niall. Reprinted by permission of Rodale Press.
Adapted from Covered in Honey, by Mani Niall (Rodale, 2003).
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.