Many birds start to migrate in mid-August, and the demand for nourishment increases. As fall draws near, both migrant and non-migrant birds will establish their winter feeding territory.
Here are five ways to help birds prepare for cold weather, and to draw birds to your feeders:
· Invest in a few low-height feeding trays and fill them with cracked corn for doves and other ground feeding birds.
· Hummingbirds may visit feeders up to times of hard frosts, so keep their feeders filled.
· Make efforts to ensure fresh water for birds as you move into winter.
· Hang fresh suet, as birds are looking to add on some fat.
· In the fall many birds are growing their flight feathers and need rich foods such as oil-rich sunflower and niger seeds.