Given that Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to write about feng shui for the boudoir. But as it turns out, all of my feng shui sources suggest tips for how to make the bedroom relaxing and sleep-friendly, rather than the stimulating and maybe not-so-sleepy Valentine’s mood I was picturing. So later in the week I’ll write about love feng shui that would make Cupid proud, but today’s it’s all about sleep and serenity–which, come to think of it, might be the best aphrodisiac around.
• Don’t keep more than a few books in your bedroom; they are too stimulating.
• Don’t use lots of yang colors, such as gold or red, in the bedroom. These colors stimulate your energy, resulting in poor sleep.
• Remove as much electronic equipment from your bedroom as possible, especially televisions, VCRs, stereos, and computers which emit electromagnetic energy that is detrimental to rest and health.
• Avoid sleeping in a bedroom situated above a garage, which channels the noxious fumes from the automobiles to the room’s occupants, affecting health.
• Don’t occupy a bedroom that is in a direct line with a straight road. If a vehicle’s headlights shine at or into a bedroom at night, use the room for exercise, storage, sewing, computer work, play, or other leisure activities instead.
• Keep your bedroom free of clutter and minimize the amount of furniture so that chi (life energy) can flow easily throughout the room.
• Don’t have any water features, such as fountains or aquariums, in your bedroom, where they are considered unlucky and can lead to loss of wealth.
• Don’t place the head of your bed against the wall shared with a bathroom.
• Choose bedding and linens in solid colors. If they have patterns, avoid geometric, angular designs that emanate negative energy and disturb your rest.
Adapted from Feng Shui Dos and Taboos (Storey Publishing, 2000) by Angi Ma Wong.
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.