Feng Shui to Enhance Personal Recognition
By Erica Sofrina, Author of Small Changes, Dynamic Results! Feng Shui for the Western World and Founder of the Academy of Feng Shui
One of the teachings of Feng Shui has to do with charting the energy centers of our home and enhancing the areas that correspond to the key areas of our lives.
The “Fame and Reputation” area has to do with being your authentic self in the world and receiving the recognition that comes from this. It is not about self-aggrandization, but being able to receive genuine appreciation and recognition for your gifts, talents, and contributions — whether from friends, family, work, your community, or the world.
In Feng Shui, Fame and Reputation is connected to the Fire element. This area of the home can be enhanced by using objects and colors that are more fiery. Fame and Reputation is about what we are known for, our impeccability or lack there of. Fire, like reputation, spreads quickly. This area encourages us to be known for kind, generous acts. It is about the awards and accomplishments we are proud of. It encourages us to become clear about who we truly are and what gifts we offer to the world.
Work With Enhancing This Area of Your Home When You:
1. Are not being recognized at work for your contributions or have been passed up for a promotion.
2. Would like more recognition at home.
3. Are fearful of being seen (for who you really are).
4. Have low self-esteem and/or difficulty receiving praise and recognition.
5. Want to establish a good reputation in your community.
6. Would like to be well-known for something you do.
If you are working with any of the challenges listed above, Feng Shui teaches that if you work with the corresponding Fame and Reputation area of your home, you can also activate this part of your life. It teaches that we are energetically connected to our home, and by shifting the chi there we shift the chi in our life experience as well.
This part of Feng Shui comes out of the teaching of the Bagua. (Read more: Where is Energy in your Home?) We can locate these energy centers by overlaying what is called a Bagua map onto the floor plan of our living space. (See page 3 for instructions and your free color Bagua Map.)
Next: How to Change the Fame and Reputation Area in Your Home
Observe the Fame and Reputation Area of Your Home:
1. Take a look at what is going on in the Fame and Reputation segment of your home. See if it connects to what is going on in your life. (You may have some “ah-ha” moments!)
2. Clean it up, clear it out, and make it an attractive place to spend time in.
3. Add enhancements to encourage the chi (energy) to become activated along with environmental affirmations that represent what it is you do want to have happen in this area of your life.
According to the laws of attraction, “like” attracts “like.” By strategically planting into your space objects that hold the energy for something you desire, you are attracting this like energy to you. (See: Your Home is Attracting Your Future)
For Enhancements to Your Fame and Reputation Area, You Can Add:
1. Diplomas, awards, prizes, and acknowledgments you are proud of.
2. Posters, paintings, collages, and vision boards of objects that represent the fire element, such as animals, people, sunshine, and/or favorite people or celebrities that you admire.
3. Items that are in the red spectrum: red, purple, orange, pink, etc.
4. Triangular and conical shaped objects (which represent fire). See my article on the Five Elements.
5. Lighting, candles, oil lamps, electrical lights.
6. Quotes, affirmations, and sayings that you personally resonate with pertaining to fame and reputation.
7. Vision boards of pictures of you doing the things that represent who you truly are moving boldly in the world, along with phrases that support this affirmation.
Remember, the most powerful object is one that has personal meaning to you. Don’t use talismans from other cultures just because you read about it in a Feng Shui book. The more you love it, the more oomph you give it!
Next: How to Locate the Fame and Reputation Area of Your Home
How to Place the Bagua Over the Floor Plan of your Home.
1. Draw a sketch of the floor plan of your space. This should be the bird’s-eye view as if you are looking down on it. Include all built-on decks, stairways, and attached garages. If you live in a condo, apartment, or one room, draw the shape of this as if you are looking down from above.
2. Draw a square or rectangle over the floor plan in the shape of the Bagua map. Stretch it out into a long skinny rectangle if need be. All of the areas of the home (or space) need to be within the square or rectangle. If your home is an irregular shape, still draw the rectangle or square around it. Not all homes are square or rectangular, so you may very well be missing some areas of the Bagua. Instructions on how to deal with this are below.
3. Stand at the front door with the map parallel to the floor with the Entrance Quadrant touching your stomach. Look into the home, the farthest left section will be the Wealth area, the Fame area will be in next to it in the center, and the Love and Marriage area will be the far right section of the home.
4. Now divide your home with the Bagua map overlaid on it in nine equal sections. This will identify for you where all of the key nine areas are of your home are. The Wealth area will always be the far left quadrant of the home and the Love and Marriage the far right section, etc.
5. If your home is not a rectangle or square, you may be missing areas of the Bagua. If this is the case, you can do a mini-Bagua for each room of your home and enhance the Fame area of each room as described earlier. Treat the main entrance to the room like you would the front door of the home and lay the Bagua accordingly. This energetically brings back into the space the missing area. If this area falls in the yard, create a Fame garden with plants in the red spectrum, representing fire, etc.
6. If you have more than one floor of your home, what ever is below is above. You do not turn the Bagua differently for each floor. In which case you may have more than one Fame area, the same rules of enhancement apply to all areas!
Note: I practice and write about Western Form School Feng Shui. This which works with the Bagua map and is a different school that Classical Compass School Feng Shui, which uses a Chinese compass along with Chinese Astrology to determine chi or energy flow. I suggest you choose the approach that resonates the most for you and stick with it to not be confused by the different schools and practices.