Following our passion sounds wonderful, doesn’t it? But before we can do that, our own particular crop of fears is bound to surface.
Here is a list of the six most common fears that keep us from pursuing our deepest dreams. Often they are deeply hidden and unconscious. Simply reading this list will help you to begin the process of facing your fears so you can truly follow your passion.
While most of us want to run from our fears, the paradox here is that only by going toward them can we move toward our passion. We are not asked to overcome or resolve our fears completely. Rather, we are asked to befriend them. Fear is a necessary ingredient to passion. Indeed, it is part of what keeps the fire hot.
Fears are inevitable as we claim our passion. We need to go toward them in order to uncover them, talk about them, and transform them with mentors, counselors, or trusted colleagues. We need to use them as part of the fuel that fires our passion.
Here is the list of fears:
1. Fear of disobeying an idealized father figure.
2. Fear of disobeying a patriarchal organization or culture.
3. Fear of betraying our mother who didn’t follow her passion.
4. Fear of displeasing or threatening our lover or spouse.
5. Fear of the inner critic who tells you that you are worthless and can’t follow your passion, that you don’t have what it takes, that you’re not enough.
6. Fear of confronting the litany of excuses that blocks your real passion: fear of failure, disappointment, not enough money, not enough time, not enough staff, not enough …